Newark and Sherwood Sports Awards
Nominations are now open but you must tell us who you think deserves special recognition by 5pm on Sunday, September 30th.
The nomination process is open to anyone and nominators can be teachers, coaches, volunteers or parents, or someone who plays alongside a potential sporting hero.
You can submit your nominations on-line using the electronic form on this page or call the council’s sports development team on 01636 655701 for an application form.
There are 12 categories for different junior, senior and club nominations. A shortlist will be produced following the close of nominations.
The council’s cabinet member for leisure and culture, Cllr Roger Jackson, said: “Every year the panel of judges has an incredibly difficult job of picking winners in every category, as all nominations are worthy of some recognition for their hard work.
“Newark and Sherwood Sports Awards and Review is vital in demonstrating the rich variety of sport across the district, and the many talented sportspeople, coaches and volunteers that we have.
“Recognising sporting talent has never been so important in this, an Olympic year, and we want to celebrate and encourage the sporting talent on our doorstep.”
• Junior Sportsperson of the Year
• Junior Team of the Year
• Junior Disabled Sportsperson of the Year
• Junior Volunteer of the Year
• Newark Senior Team of the Year
• Senior Disabled Sportsperson of the Year
• Senior Sportsperson of the Year
• Volunteer of the Year
• Coach of the Year
• Club of the Year
• Outstanding Contribution to Sport
When completing the nomination form, please ensure you enter all details accurately as we will need to contact you. Please provide as much information as possible, such as courses attended, number of hours training or volunteering. Achievements that took place outside of the review period, (winter sports season 2011 - 2012 and summer sports season 2012) will NOT be considered. The one exception is the Outstanding Contribution category where the achievements may have taken place over a longer period. Nominations will be judged by an independent panel after the closing date and all nominees and nominators will be contacted. Please ensure the nominee is aware of their nomination. Juniors will be classed as aged 18 or under on 30th September 2012. Individuals nominated in all categories must live or be involved in an organisation based in Newark and Sherwood.
Nominations for the Club of the Year will be judged against the following criteria:
- People the club has impacted upon - What difference has your club made to its volunteers, coaches, participants and non-participants in this year? Give examples of how it has recruited, recognised and invested in them during this year.
- Programmes the club delivers - What difference has the club made to the local community this year? Give examples of how the club has worked with the local area to encourage involvement. How has your club targeted specific groups to work with, such as ethnic minorities, women and girls, people with disabilities or low income groups?
- Working in partnerships - What partnerships is your club involved with? How has working in partnership with local agencies impacted on your club’s ability to deliver to the community. Give examples of work with your local or national governing body sports development officer/club forum/local schools/youth groups/brownies/scouts/volunteer centres etc.
- The future - What does your club plan to achieve in the next 12-18 months?