Satellite Clubs are an extension of community sports clubs which are established in a secondary school or college. They target the 11-25 age group, with a focus on 14+ and are a stepping stone to a community club. Satellite clubs will be determined by local need and can offer new sports, formats and opportunities to students.
Running a Satellite Club will provide outstanding opportunities for clubs and coaches to:
- Recruit new volunteers and potential coaches
- Increase club membership
- Increase community access to local facilities
- Provide additional opportunities for coaches to develop their skills
- Widen a clubs talent pool by accessing a wider audience
Satellite Clubs are designed to attract a new audience to community sports clubs. They are run by established sports clubs who bring their expertise and enthusiasm to local places where young people already meet. Together they create a satellite that delivers sport in the way that these young people want to receive it and enjoy it.
Satellite Clubs have the following features:
- Based locally
- Run every week for at least 1 hour
- A clear identity, for example a joint club/community group or school identity
- Run by club coaches and volunteers – a key link to the club
- Informal structure and membership that is based on the needs of young people
- Its membership reflects the local population
Interested in developing a Satellite Club?
Take a look at our guide which includes FAQ’s.
Or complete the online expression of interest form and submit it to Sport Nottinghamshire and one of our local delivery team will contact you to arrange a suitable time to discuss your options further.
Need further information or want to speak to someone directly?
Contact Lyn Winkworth, Youth Sport Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org 07786 702158
Coaches are critical to the success of any youth sports session. In order to help create unmissable coaching sessions, sports coach UK and Sport England, have created guide for coaches to generate ideas for their sessions.
‘What makes your session UNMISSABLE for young people’ draws on recent research and contains fun ideas and tips for coaches.
Young people are not all the same and want experiences that are tailored to them – coaches need to understand their motivations, their likes, dislikes, hopes and dreams if they are to offer an experience young people want to return to.
Download the accompanying guide ‘What makes your session Unmissable for young people?’
Tell us how you have made your session unmissable using #UnmissableSport @sportscoachUK @sportnotts on Twitter.
Click here to develop your coaching skills and check out the latest training and development courses on offer for you.
- Nottinghamshire School Games
- Primary PE and School Sport
- School-Club Links
- Sportivate Funding
- Advice for Parents
- Change 4 Life Sports Clubs
- Disability and Inclusive Sport
- Junior Sport Search