Formal links between sports clubs and schools can be a great way to encourage children to continue playing sport after school and also create a pathway toward competitive and elite sport.
Sport Nottinghamshire is working closely with local authorities, NGB’s, Clubs and Schools to establish these formal links and would encourage any schools or clubs wanting to create these links to get in touch with our Youth Sport Manager, Rob Cook details below.
If you are already have a school-club link in place we will be showcasing these links throughout the year, including in a dedicated resource that will be available for the start of the new academic term. If you wish to showcase your school-club link please send a short overview of your link, contact details and a photo to our Youth Sport Manager, Rob Cook details below.
Defining School Club Links
The definition below has been developed based on national guidance documents, CSP and NGB guides and responses received to-date from the Nottinghamshire County Sports Partnership network. Some key themes have emerged from this consultation as follows:
- School - club links must be easy to understand, implement and measure.
- They require proactive involvement from a representative at both the school and club.
- They must include activity specific to that link.
- They must have a real outcome i.e. young people actively participating at the club either as players or leaders.
Based on these key themes and your inputs, the Nottinghamshire County Sports Partnership definition of School-Club Links is as follows:
A school-club link is a mutually beneficial partnership between a school and community sports club, which are characterised by the following:
- Effective communications between the club and school i.e. regular communication between at least one designated person from the school and club.
- Structured activity and opportunities for young people from the school to participate e.g. coaching sessions, competitions, leadership opportunities at events etc. This can either be in a community and/or school setting.
- Positive outcome: Young people participating in club sport, either as an athlete/player or leader, as a result of the link.
For further information and support on setting up or enhancing school-club links please contact:
Rob Cook l Youth Sport Manager l Sport Nottinghamshire l Web: www.sportnottinghamshire.co.uk l Tel. 0115 848 3954 l Mob. 07792 008506